Blonde Tortoiseshell Griffin

The griffin, or eagle-lion, is generally portrayed with wings, a beak, eagle claws and feathered, and pointy ears. Some traditions say that only female griffins have wings. Griffins found themselves on the cross of St. George, Greek mythology, Persian poetry, Milton’s Paradise Lost and Dante’s Divine Comedy.

I saw this comb on Ruby Lane. The dealer mentioned that she didn’t know if it was celluloid or shell. Three seconds after I looked at it, an unconscious force led my fingers to the shopping cart. Suddenly, when I regained consciousness, it had been delivered. I’d say this is a griffin on a hair pin hand carved out of one piece of blonde tortoiseshell, England, c. 1880.

This entry was posted in English Hair Comb, Victorian Hair Comb and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Blonde Tortoiseshell Griffin

1. peggy elliott says:

Oh, Barbara, did you make an amazing find! Good for you – this is absolutely gorgeous.

Now, where do you plan to wear it?! ;o)

2. BarbaraAnne says:

Can’t wear it. Under glass. And I have to take the reflection of the stand out of the picture. More work. :-)

3. bem02 says:

That is lovely! I guess the dealer never did the hot needle or taste test then?

4. BarbaraAnne says:

I guess she didn’t! I think many dealers specialize in other things or buy estates and sell off the pieces individually. They are not comb specialists.

5. BarbaraAnne says:

Also, thank you Alain for taking the reflection of the top of my plastic stand out of the picture!!!!!!!!! It just solidifies that I must go to Bordeaux and Paris for photography lessons, aka an excuse to drink wine and eat foie gras. :-)

6. lovelieapple says:

Amazing~~ *_* I’ve always liked hair combs but really, it’s absolutely gorgeous